Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Legend of Conan


If you hadn't heard, Arnold Schwarzenegger is coming back as Conan the Barbarian in the movie The Legend of Conan, slated to be released in the summer of 2014. Apparently, Conan will be near the end of his life, seeking one last battle.

I have mixed feelings about this. If they do it right, it will be an awesome film. If they do it wrong, it'll end up like Conan the Destroyer or the 2011 reboot. (The 2011 reboot, in my opinion, is still much better than Conan the Destroyer). All three movies, including the original, have gotten mixed reviews. I think the original Conan the Barbarian is fantastic, but I know plenty of other people disagree.

If the movie is based on Robert E. Howard's story, The Hour of the Dragon, I can see some potential. In that story Conan has been ousted from the throne by an undead wizard, and he has to travel long and far to reclaim his throne and free his people... if only could find the "heart" of his kingdom. Howard, of course, never wrote about Conan's death. We find a quote from Howard in the introduction of The Conquering Sword of Conan:

"As for Conan's eventual fate -- frankly I can't predict it. In writing these yarns I've always felt less as creating them than as if I were simply chronicling his adventures as he told them to me."

Hopefully the ghosts of the literary Conan and Robert E. Howard will guide the Hollywood producers and actors into producing something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...