Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Growing Up in the d20 Dark Ages (Part 4)

In middle-school, especially during the summers, sometimes we just didn't eat so we could play D&D.

We had all the time in the world, it seemed. Sometimes we'd just play D&D on the fly. One of my good friends was great at just coming up with things--"Just give me a half-hour," he say. Of course, for some of us that's a half-hour too long. "Well," they'd say. "I'll just run home really quick and get something to eat." We all lived roughly in the same neighborhood at the time, so it shouldn't have been a big deal.

Still, they wouldn't come back. Their had parents nabbed them into doing chores!

And suddenly we were down a player or two.

So we developed a policy: "Don't go home." When we were all together, we had to stay together. Fortunately, my place was usually fine to hang out. My mom, bless her heart, often didn't take me away from my friends to do chores. For some reason, the parents of each of my friends hardly ever called there. Thus, we had a bit of a sanctuary. My mom, at times, would nap on the couch in the living room and chuckle at our gaming antics in the kitchen.

Even so, there were times when I didn't eat so we could game on.

We played elsewhere, too, usually when the parents weren't home. But when they came home the festivities would end. That was always the risk.

Looking back, at first glance it seems like we were really dedicated to gaming. But that's only part of it. We were. We loved playing RPGs. But in retrospect were really dedicated to each other, like the kids in Stand By Me. But without looking for dead bodies in real life part, and the train jumping... yeah.

----

Have you ever skipped a meal or a snack so you could game with your friends? Of so, why?

2 comments:

  1. I have never skipped a meal... quite the opposite. I have already commented on part 2 or 3 of your blog explaining that I was 10 years youngher than everyone in my gaming group. We played at my DM's appartement... the cool thing is that the main character of the campaing was... his mom's sister. Believe me. When I was there, I never had to skip a meal while playing... I was skipping the one at home after a session because I had eaten too much during the game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great time. There's nothing quite gaming and having home-cooked food made for you... its better than the standard fare of potato chips, pretzels, and soda pop. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...