Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Today is a Special Day

This morning I just finished the rough draft of my novel Anne Greyhawk and the Valkyrie's Vow. It's my first. I've been wanting to write a novel since I was seven. Now I've finally gone and done it.

Yes, I'm pretty happy about it, finally taking the discipline and completing it. Yet I feel like the Buddhist monk who was asked about the state of Enlightenment.

Person: "What did you do before you became Enlightened?"

Monk: "Hauled water, chopped wood."

Person: "What do you now, after you've become Enlightened?"

Monk: "Haul water, chop wood."

It's just another day and yet it isn't.

Today's also the anniversary of the conclusion to the War for the City of Peace campaign. It isn't a coincidence that I finally wrote a novel after my D&D campaign ended. It took up a lot of my time and creative energy. I was also finishing up my master's degree. And I know the discipline I learned doing that helped me finish this novel.

It's been awhile since I've felt this level of contentment. I'm going to enjoy it because, as Steven Pressfield in the War of Art tells us, Resistance will be there again in the morning.

Both the Anne Greyhawk and the Valkyrie's Vow and The War for the City of Peace campaign take place in my homebrew setting, Domikka, each in different parts of that world. I've been developing Domikka for over twenty years. Needless to say, I've been living with this for a long, long time.

My players have enjoyed it. Now, someday soon, I'll have readers who'll enjoy it too.

I'll keep posting updates here at the novel progresses. No doubt in the upcoming revisions I'll cut things and add some more.  But for now, as Stephen King taught me in his book On Writing, I resisted the urge to even peek at it while it printed off, and I've put it away where it will gather dust for at least a month.

----

Have you written the first draft of a book? How did you feel afterward?

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope you didn't take King's advice on ending stories, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of King's endings are good, some bad.

    But the end of the Dark Tower series was the final straw with me. You don't lead your reader through seven books that took you decades to complete and then chide them right before the lousy ending for wanting to read the ending.

    I haven't read any of King's fiction since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of any books by him that are >500 pages that have even marginally decent endings. "Eyes of the Dragon", maybe? I don't recall the end, but that presumably means it wasn't totally egregious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done sir! Congratulations. I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ The Dali Trauma: Thank you! It'll be awhile, of course.

    @ Jon: "Eyes of the Dragon" ended with Flagg getting driven out of the kingdom and the characters going after him. But King leave out whether or not they were successful. The story sort of ties into the Dark Tower series, kinda.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...