Monday, January 7, 2013

Back in the Saddle for the New Year

Believe it or not, I went some place that had very limited Internet and cell phone access for the last few days (gasp!). I was celebrating a late Christmas with my family in the Iowa hinterlands. I ate a lot, opened presents, and I finally saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 2D.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
My fears were unfounded. I enjoyed the movie. Sure, Peter Jackson took some liberties with the storyline and added more of the background than what was found in the book, but this didn't detracted from the movie's value. The 2 hours and 40 odd minutes went by fast, since I was so engrossed in the movie. I don't know what the critics were thinking. I can't wait to the see the next two films.

Greyhawk and Blackmoor
I found a copy of D&D supplements Greyhawk and Blackmoor at the local Half-Price Books. If somebody else wants them for $25 a piece, that's fine by me. I was insulted that they were asking that amount: both were water damaged and their staples were rusting. Perhaps I should have purchased them. They would have found a better home with me than in that display case. I really don't know why I bothered going to that Half-Price books, since I've been disappointed by them before.
I didn't buy anything. They had some RPG books from the 2e era, but they were asking too much for the condition the books were in.

Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque Contest Results
The results are in. James A. won the grand prize. I can't wait to read the supplement that comes of this. Jack Shear puts out some quality material as it is. His works have gotten rave reviews over at Grognardia and RPG.net.

Shear captures the essence of Ravenloft with his "World Between" and then turns the gothic-horror up a several notches.

That's all for now. I hope your new year is starting off well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...