Monday, May 13, 2013

Mini Monday: Works in Progress




Sometimes I feel like I've got too many "nerd-irons" in the fire, especially when it comes to painting miniatures. I have the tendency to start mulitple projects, get overwhelmed, and then take forever to finish them. Recently, "real world" stuff has taken priority over painting, but I've still made some progress toward my goal of 52 Weeks 52 Miniatures for this year.

It really comes down to focus. Munnin's Brush is focusing on finishing a miniature-a-day for the month of May. Mike over at Mikeopolis can churn out painted armies like nobody's business, it seems.

Speaking of Mike, he gave in a really useful tip for rebasing. Use soap and water.

See those Hundred Years' War foot knights up there? I bought them a few years ago and they were put on individual 20mm square bases. I'd always wanted to rebase them for Neil Thomas's Ancient and Medieval Wargaming but was too afriad of damaging the figures--it appeared that they'd been glued to the base by some sort of hard cement.

It turns out I was wrong. I soaked the bases for about an hour in water with a dash of dish soap--just enough water to over the tops of the bases. Afterward, the miniatures came right off with little trouble. It turns out they'd been glued on with Coarse Pumice Gel Medium (see picture below).

Now I just need to flock the bases and they'll be ready to go.

While I'd like to claim that I painted those figures, I didn't. I don't know if I could focus my energies enough to do that great of a paint job. I don't know if I have the time.

Instead, I've settled with the Army Painter Method for painting foot knights.



These, like the ones before, come from Black Tree Design. They're going to be generic foot knights for almost any army in the Hundred Years' War. I primed them metallic and am painting on a variety of colors.

At this point I just want to get them done. 

Just like this Tiefling from the old Chainmail rules from the early days of D&D 3e.


She's almost done--just needs a few more highlights, details, and perhaps some ink shading. I had every intention of finishing her by today. But again, I got unfocused. When she's done, she might become some sort of half-demonic adversary in my Expeditions in the Northlands campaign.






1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...