Monday, June 3, 2013

Mini Monday: Paladin Initiate



Next up in my quest to complete 52 miniatures this year is a "Paladin Initiate," by Reaper Miniatures.

With this miniature I tested out a technique I learned on How to Paint Minis the Bruce Campbell Way on EN World.

I primed the miniature black, as usual, but instead of layering on colors, I drybrushed the miniature Rainy Grey from Reaper.

You can still see a bit of the grey-brushing in this picture (especially the sword and the armor trim):



Then I started painting on colors--but only one layer in most cases. See, the grey-brushing is supposed to save you time on shading the miniature.

I think it did. Every color, save for the purple didn't need another layer or dry brush. Here's the colors I used.

1. Armor--Boltgun Metal--by GW, "Trim"--Copper, by Reaper
2. Sword--Chainmail, by GW
3. Tabard, clothes, and Shield--Liche Purple, by GW; (light dry brush) Lich Purple, by Reaper; Skull White, by GW
4. Leather Straps--Ruddy Flesh, by Reaper

I spent most of my time detailing, it seemed. I finished the miniature off with a light wash of black ink to make the details stand out more.

I think the Bruce Campbell Way has some merit. But I'll have to try it on some other figures, since I'm not sure I like how this one turned out.


And... done!
Of course, if you need to make some statues or stone golems, the grey-brush method is probably the way to go.

I'm not sure if I quite like how the miniature turned out. Maybe I over did it on the copper. It just feels like the miniature is missing something, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the grey-brush technique or not.

But most importantly, the miniature is D-O-N-E.

And that makes 9 out of 52 for the year.

1 comment:

  1. My 2¢? I think it looks great. Thanks for the link/reference to the technique. I'm going to try it out here soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...