Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What D&D Supplements from the 1970s did or do you use?




I've been taking another look at my copies of Greyhawk and Eldritch Wizardry, since I started running my Expeditions in the Northlands campaign using Swords & Wizardry. It amazes me how each are just chalked full of additional rules and clarifications, though I ponder the usefulness (and dare I say balance) of some. They're sort of a hodgepodge of rules thrown together.

Eldritch Wizardry introduces psionics. Magic-users loose a spell for every psionic power they learn. And for some reason Druids and Monks can't be psionic. Many powers are restricted by class--such as only fighting men can learn Body Weaponry. You also have a combat system based on segments, and lots of other stuff--like Orcus!

Greyhawk also introduces lots of rules like exceptional strength, damage by weapon type, the thief class, the "proper way" of awarding experience points (100 points per level is "ridiculous"). I also like the list of tricks and traps in the "Underworld and Wilderness" adventures at the end of the book. (A troll with a magic spear riding a purple worm--yikes!)

So I'm just curious, what did you use from these supplements back in the day? What worked? What didn't?





1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a copy of these AND I wish I would have used them back in the day. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...