Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 3: Favorite Playable Class


I'll be updating the list of all the blogs participating in the challenge sometime tonight.

Thanks to all who've added blogs so far!

Meanwhile, what's my favorite playable class?

The bard.

I think the bard class, when played right, can be the most powerful class.

A bard is a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. Therefore, he cannot rely on all of his cool powers, but his wits. This forces him to think outside of the box.

When playing the bard, you must think outside of the box since in each edition of D&D, they don't quite get the bard right.

In OD&D, the bard was a lyrical poet who could charm his enemies with his music.
In AD&D, the bard became the first prestige class--your character had to take levels in fighter and thief before taking up druidic studies as a bard. The bard was, in my opinion, the most powerful class for this reason.
In AD&D 2e, they made him into a toned down fighter/mage/thief in knowledge abilities.
In 3.0/3.5e, he became very much a supporting character--not as much fun to play.
In Pathfinder, the bard seemed to have been beefed up, but I haven't played Pathfinder. 
I haven't seen the bard in 4e, I really don't want to.

I wish somebody would design a bard class that feels more like the AD&D bard, but not as a prestige class. Because I think that was the original intention with the class.

Here's somebody with a pseudo-celtic background that's very knowledgeable, as is a cross between a fighter, thief, and druid.


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...