Monday, October 14, 2013

What's Your Ideal # of Blog Posts Per Day, Week, or Month?

How much do you think is too much? Or too little?

I'm speaking to both blog authors and readers out there.

Various blog ranking sites have told me that I should be making posts at least once a day. Readers want to keep up to date on your latest news. In the OSR Blogosphere, there are those, like Timothy Brannan over at the Other Side Blog, who post about once a day. He's got quite a few followers. But then you've got Tenkar's Tavern churning out 2, 3, or 4 posts a day--it's hard to keep up sometimes as a reader.

Then you've got bloggers who post only about once a week--many of those come published authors.

It's been over a year since I've started d20 Dark Ages, and lately I've been wondering what to do with it. At its height last spring, I was getting around 7,000 page views per month. It plateaued then declined after I left G+.

I feel like I need to offer readers something besides my witty ramblings about gaming. I don't want to churn out material just to churn out material to boost my page views. I'd rather publish quality over quantity--stuff readers will read and enjoy. In the past, I've been good at hammering out a blog post in about a half hour, daily. But at times I'd run out of steam.

Lately I've been pondering the direction d20 Dark Ages should take. So any input will be greatly appreciated.

So what's your ideal number of blog posts? How many is too many... or too little?






7 comments:

  1. I try to post 2-3 times per week and I think I average @7K pageviews per month. I also don't have an overflowing toilet of content ideas - I think for a relatively niche blog (Fate Core, whatever random gaming subject grabs my attention, the occasional post about other games that are even less popular than Fate Core is), 2-3 times per week is pretty good. For someone trying to cover faster moving or much more popular subjects - either "scooping" gaming news, or covering Pathfinder, D&D, etc. - once a day or even more often might be better. But the likelihood is that their blog is at least part of their livelihood, so it's possible for them to maintain that pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always kind of wondered how some bloggers are able to have high post counts. That would explain it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. My goal is to get 4-5 posts a week. Lately I've been doing more, and it's showed in the bump in page views (up from an average of around 12k/month to over 15k)

    As for how many you or anyone else should post? However many you want to. What's your goal? I write because I enjoy it, because I need that creative outlet. Why do you write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Why do I write?"

      The simple answer: I can't stop. I don't know how. ;)

      I just want to write decent posts for d20 Dark Ages while at the same time not contributing to all of the "static" out there.

      Delete
  3. Unless I've monetized my blog, I really couldn't care less about page views or "driving traffic" or any of that. I do pay attention to follower numbers, but mainly out of idle curiosity.

    I enjoy an insightful and illuminating comment thread as much as the next blogger, but ultimately I write my posts for my own purposes and I always have. The reason I chose to write in a public forum, as opposed to keeping a diary or something, is that I figure some of my ideas or writings might be of use to others, and I've found that feedback can often be helpful in refining or changing ideas expressed in my posts.

    Having said that, when I started my blog I had a lot to write about, so I posted several times a week and that probably did help drive traffic and increase my base of followers and commentators. Nowadays I'm lucky if I'm posting once a week; I don't post unless I have something to say. I've tried setting up artificial reasons to post, but it just never works out.

    Since you're interested in the correlation between posting frequency and page views, checking my stats I see I posted twice last month and got over 9,000 total page views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 posts and 9,000 pageviews--wow. But I guess it all depends on how long you've been around and how often you've previously posted. Thanks for the input.

      Delete
  4. I tend to aim for at least three posts a week (on a Monday, Wednesday, & Friday schedule). It allows me a little more time to think over my next post and makes burnout less likely to happen. I blog because I enjoy it, so I don't want to get burnout doing it.

    Personally, my opinion on posting schedules is that you should post as much as you feel like you should. Some people can do the daily schedule, but others can't. Just find the schedule that allows you to make quality posts and lessens the chance of blog burnout.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...