Saturday, November 23, 2013

Man I'm itching to play an Old School Game

Today I had some fun gaming at Treefort Games. We played a First Crusade scenario using the Impetus rules. It's not a bad set of rules, I just haven't played it more than a year. It seems like kinda hard to inflict damage on units (in both missile fire and melee, you need 6s or double 5s to hit and then the opponent gets a saving throw). But overall it worked out okay. I played the Muslims and we won after a lengthy game.

Then things broke down into RPGs and CCGs. I friend of mind ran his homebrew Babylon 5 RPG, there were a couple of Pathfinder groups. I just hung out and worked on various writing projects.

All in all Treefort attracts good people--its just they don't play what I'm interested in. I didn't really get into Babylon 5 when it was on TV, but I can see the appeal. As for Pathfinder, well, I'm thinking about playing it because it seems to be only game in town. 4e is pretty much gone. The Pathfinder Society has a lot of influence in the area. I guess it'd be better than nothing at all.

I need something to do to help get me out of the gaming doldrums I've been in. I just can't make the time to run a game anymore. I'd love to play one, something Old School. I wouldn't care if its a retroclone or AD&D 1e or 2e using Thac0. Though I'd prefer DCC RPG.

I spent part of the time perusing through the Dragon Magazine Archive on my computer. I can't help but be amazed at the creativity packed within those pages back in the day. Post 3e Dragon pretty much stopped being a magazine about the hobby, and more about introducing new rules, feats, classes, etc.

Once again I asked myself the question:

Why did gaming seem to get so complicated? Or am I just showing my age?

An acquaintance of mine, who was trying to get me to play Pathfinder tonight, couldn't help but buy the Combat Tracking Pad for the game. He kept looking it over before plunking down $19.99 for it. Whatever happen to just writing down on a piece of paper or at most a dry erase board?

Oh well, I'm sure I'll find something soon to feed my Old School hunger. Right now I'm going to get back to finish watching Ghostbusters. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...