Thursday, December 12, 2013

What is D&D®™©???

Is D&D really a game anymore? Or is it a brand?

Like so many people, I got this email for the D&D Next playtest.  
----
Happy Holidays!
As this monumental year comes to a close, we are continuing to refine the D&D® Next rules. Your feedback has proven instrumental in shaping the future of Dungeons & Dragons, and for that, we thank you.
We want to let you know that December 15th, 2013 is the last day to access the playtest materials online. After that date, they’ll no longer be available, so we encourage you to download the latest packet if you haven’t done so already.
Until the next edition of the D&D tabletop roleplaying game officially releases, you can continue to play D&D Next adventures at home and at stores participating in D&D Encounters™. Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle™ is available now for purchase on www.dndclassics.com, and coming early next year are two more D&D Next adventures. These Sundering-themed adventures include the supplementary rules material from the D&D Next Playtest necessary for play. Visit DungeonsandDragons.com for more information.
As always, thank you for your participation in the D&D Next playtest.

Sincerely,
D&D Team
---


It got me to thinking: are we really playing game anymore or just participating in a brand with WotC's permission?




4 comments:

  1. I can't see how this is any different than what TSR used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Timothy Brannan. In fact, this along with the scuttlebutt about there being no evil PC options in D&D Next is serving up some genuine early-90s "T$R" realness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took a peek at my copy of Dragon #216 from 1995--even when the writers are talking about their own magazine they write: "DRAGON®"

    Back then, I just thought it was kind of normal. But now I think its just odd. And if I think about it too hard, I start thinking about weird scenarios.

    (So, according to that email, if I run an adventure D&D Next playtest packet at my FLGS or at home: is that officially a D&D Encounters™ event? But what if I run a D&D Next game at my local church?

    What if the store isn't officially participating in D&D Encounters and I run D&D Next anyway? Would I or the store owner get in trouble for trademark infringement?)

    Gah, I just wanna play a game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it as you can play it at or play at an encounters event. So the "and" there is not saying "this is that" but more inclusive, "you can do this and this other thing too".

    I am willing to give WotC the benefit of the doubt here. Lets be honest, they have given us pretty much everything we have asked for; the pdfs back, the old rules reprinted, 4e dead (ok I kinda enjoyed 4e), an open playtest for 5e and adventures that can be played with different rule systems.

    But that is just my read on it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...