Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day 13: HeroQuest--a fine source of miniatures for D&D


I discovered HeroQuest shortly after I started playing D&D and glady used the miniatures inside for my games.

It was the perfect "starter kit" for a preteen boy, such as myself, who wanted to start using figures for his games. It came with: 8 orcs, 6 goblins, 3 fimirs, 4 chaos warriors, 1 chao warlock, 1 gargoyle, 4 skeletons, 2 zombies, 2 mummies, 1 barbarian, 1 dwarf, 1 elf, and 1 wizard; along with an assortment of furniture.

With the Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witchlord expansion packs, providing even more greenskins and undead, you could have small horde of non-descript monsters attacking your PCs.

I used the fimirs to represent demons or bugbears. The orcs could also be hobgoblins. The goblins could be kobolds.

In those days we more or less used miniatures to indicate party formations and handling more complicated encounters, so we didn't need anything too fancy for eye candy.

I did purchase some Ral Parthas, but they usualy sat unused--I had no clue how to paint them. It wouldn't be after 3e came out that I started painting miniatres.

I still use those HeroQuest figures. Just check out my Playing Grimmsgate posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...