Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 14: No, I didn't meet my significant other while playing D&D.

I met her in my first semester in History graduate school, about 4 years ago. We're both history nerds.

Early on, we went to see The Princess and the Frog with a couple other friends from grad-school. It wasn't an official date, but one our friends caught us holding hands during a scary scene in the movie--the one where the witch doctor raises spirits from the dead.

I thought I was just being a gentleman. I found that scene to be one of the more exciting parts of the movie, but my soon-to-be girlfriend was sitting next to me with her eyes half-closed, so I held her hand.

She doesn't play D&D or other RPGs because, in part, of the frightening aspects of them. But that's okay. I don't watch her crime dramas on TV because of the frightening aspects of those.

We both like Big Bang Theory.

She likes James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams. I like him in Conan the Barbarian. We both agree, if we ever meet him, that we'll ask Mr. Jones: "Do you sometimes scare yourself with your own voice?"

I like Rammstein. She likes country. We both like Johnny Cash and Tom Petty.

I think culture (or just advertising) tries to pressure people into finding the mythical perfect match. I've watched gamer guys go ga-ga over the prospect of a girl they like becoming a gamer girl. The end result is disappointment.

I've never asked her to play D&D. It'd be rude.

But we both enjoy boardgames like Ticket to Ride. 

She's also helped me become a better gamer. Sometimes she'll find stuff at the gaming store I've overlooked, or point out tips with painting miniatures she's learned from painting her crafts.

I don't share any of this to brag (okay, maybe a little--she's also a great cook), but I know that a significant other can make or break a person in this hobby. 

So I feel pretty fortunate to have such a wonderful woman in my life. 

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...