Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 27: If you had to do it all over again, would you do anything different when you first started gaming?


I would focus on one thing at a time. 

Back when I first started playing D&D, TSR cranked out a smorgasborg of campaign settings. My players first romped through Greyhawk, but then we discovered Ravenloft, then Planescape. They even gamed in an early version of my homebrew setting: Domikka. Others in the group ran Dragonlance and Dark Sun. We wanted it all. We thought we had all of the time in the world.

But as I mentioned on Day 25, the Greyhawk Campaign never got finished. 

So I would have focused on getting that done, before moving on to another setting. I would have made Planescape a seperate campaign.

But we did have a blast, despite the distractions. 

In recent years, when I start a new campaign, I aim for a shorter time committment. I tell my players: "I plan on running this campaign for a year. Can you commit to that? Can you commit to playing every (Sunday Afternoon/two weeks/etc.) for a year?"

I've finished more campaigns that way. 

For my next campaign I might break it down into "seasons" of about three to six months (depending on how often we play).

But for now, I'm easing off running campaigns. 

I'm focusing on just being a player in both wargaming and roleplaying. I've got miniatures to paint up. The time I would normally use to prep a campaign is being focused on painting up those.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...