Monday, February 17, 2014

Mini Monday: How to paint fire?

My painting spree from January has fizzled somewhat. I've got a number of projects in the works but only 2 figures completed, both from Reaper: A Burning Sphere and St. Tarkus.

So that's 75 figures for this year.



While I think I did a decent job with both, I'm wondering if there's a better way to paint fire. Here's what I did: 

I primed the figure black, then painted a base coat of Army Painter Matte White. Then I used a mix of Matte White and Games Workshop's Golden Yellow for the second coat. I recall then drybrushing a pure Golden Yellow--but that was too bright, so I washed it down with the Sunburst/Matt White mixed and then dry brushed on GW Blazing Orange. I topped of the edges of the flames with an very orange-looking red.



I'm satisfied with the result--it doesn't look like a ball of ketchup and mustard--but how would you paint flames? 

2 comments:

  1. I followed this set of instructions and came out with some fire-looking fire:

    http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/07/27/scratch-build-terrain-details-torches-part-two-sculpting-flames-and-painting/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing--I've already passed the link on to some fellow wargamers.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...