Sunday, March 2, 2014

The March Madness Non-D&D OSR Blog Challenge

I'm just spreading the word on The March Madness Non-D&D OSR Blog Challenge, featuring 31 questions not-related to D&D, host by Tomb of Tedankhamen. There's a partial list of blogs participating here.

I'm gonna have to sort-cut this one, because of other project. Also, my answers for many of the questions wouldn't warrant longer posts. Here's my answers to the first 10.


1 What was the first roleplaying game other than D&D you played? Was it before or after you had played D&D?

That would be Shadowrun. And it was after I played D&D. Read more about it here.

2 In what system was the first character you played in an RPG other than D&D? How was playing it different from playing a D&D character?

Again, that would be Shadowrun. I remember having to wrap my mind around not having hit points anymore and how lethal the game could be.

3 Which game had the least or most enjoyable character generation?

Chivalry and Sorcery. But that could have been because of the GM. Everything is random--and your skills is determined by your social status. So, you have a chance of being everything from a wretched wanderer to a king (yes, you can be king if you get very very lucky). 

I rolled up a peasant longbowman. Great. And then I rolled up my flaw: Butterfingers, -15% to melee combat and shooting.  

"Can I re-roll? Historically speaking this character wouldn't be given a longbow if he's that inept." 

"No." 

Creating high level characters for D&D 3.5e could be a chore.

4 What other roleplaying author besides Gygax impressed you with their writing?

Justin Achilli, Anne Sullivan Braidwood, and Geoffrey Grabowski who wrote the Vampire Storyteller's Handbook.

Sean Patrick Fannon for his The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible.

5 What other old school game should have become as big as D&D but didn’t? Why do you think so?

I think the 1e of Warhammer Fantasy Role Play could have given D&D a run for its money--by Games Workshop had no interest in promoting RPGs at that point. But players were looking for something different, gritty, I believe. 

Middle Earth Role Playing, by ICE, might have also done well were it not a toned down version of Rolemaster.

6 What non-D&D monster do you think is as iconic as D&D ones like hook horrors or flumphs, and why do you think so?

Maybe Skaven from WFRP. But I also have a fondness for the forgotten Fimir.


7 What fantasy RPG other than D&D have you enjoyed most? Why?

Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. Because players first think they're playing D&D, but soon learn its more like Call of Cthulu.

8 What spy RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.

I've never played in a spy RPG.

9 What superhero RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?

I ran a FUDGE super-hero campaign way back in high school. It lasted for only three sessions. While 
liked FUDGE's elegance, it was a lot of work for the GM to come up with his own system.

10 What science fiction RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.

Dark Heresy. A big part of it was the DM. Another part was my badass arbiter named Jericho.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...