Friday, March 7, 2014

Where do you get your ideas for your games?

Steven Pressfield, author of Gates of Fire and the War of Art, has a weekly column on his website called "Writing Wednesdays." I've been following Pressfield for sometime now. In my opinion he's has some of the best advice on writing out there--a lot of which can be applied to gaming, especially for DMs.

Last Wednesday's column, "How I Get Ideas", Pressfield tells how ideas just sort of come out of nowhere, usually unexpectedly while the "brain is turned off."

I can see where he's coming from. Ideas pop in at the most inopportune times, for me at least. Even though I'm no longer running games I still get ideas for adventures and campaigns. Fortunately I usually keep something to write on nearby.

So where do you get your ideas for your games?  Do you actively seek them out or do let them come unbidden?

1 comment:

  1. For me they tend to be sparked by something. I'll watch a movie or show, or come across some cool artwork, or find a blog post, and my brain will spawn something related and I'll grab that and run with it. I like to browse deviantart.com and cghub for artwork. I'm always finding cool stuff there.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...