Monday, April 14, 2014

100,000 Pageviews--Do We Still Live in the d20 Dark Ages?




Well, there it is.

It took about a year and half, but d20 Dark Ages has finally reached 100,000 pageviews.

What started off as a knee-jerk reaction to Are you part of the "Lost Generation" of RPG players? on EN World turned into a significant part of my life.

Yes. The hobby is fragmented. Edition Wars have cooled but are still there.
Yes. AD&D 2e, in my opinion, is still under-represented in the OSR (but I'm noticing a resurgance).
Yes. I'm still annoyed at a lot what goes in the hobby, but mostly I just don't care anymore so long as I get to play the games I want to enjoy.

Things are good right now. I'm in a Swords & Wizardry campaign. I want to start a 2e game but I've been busy with a lot of other commitments.

"Finding the Gems in 2e" is something I should have done from the start. I did retrospectives, sure, but not the indepth analysis. Even though these books have been on my shelf for years, I haven't really read them in a long time. It's like meeting old friends again. I have to credit noisms over at Monsters and Manuals for doing his "Let's Read the AD&D 2nd Monstrous Manual" for helping me come up with the idea back in January (I'm still reading through it--finding gems that I'd forgotten or never noticed before).

So, do we still live in the d20 Dark Ages?

Perhaps. I've been kicking around changing the name to reflect my more progressive viewpoints lately but I think its stuck.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a dark age at all, for d20 or other RPGs. I think human beings use doomsaying as a stimulant. We get off on it. I think role-playing is no where near a demise. And I for one would love some more 2E coverage on the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the page views. You deserve the recognition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...