Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Astos: King of the Dark Elves


Artwork by Yoshitaka Amano
Source: Final Fantasy I 

Climate/Terrain: Ruins
Frequency: Unique
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Omnivore
Intelligence: Genius (18)
Treasure: A, V
Alignment: Neutral Evil
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: -1 [21]
Movement: 12”
Hit Dice: 10 (70 hit points)
Thac0 [Attack Bonus]: 11 [+9]
No. of Attacks: 2 (each +2 to hit)
Damage/Attack: 1d6+2/1d6+2 (claws)
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Defenses: Can only be hit by silver or magical weapons
Magic Resistance: 50%
Size: M (7’ tall)
Morale: Fearless (19-20)
XP Value: 10,000

Astos is the self-proclaimed King of the Dark Elves. His minions are fey-like creatures that exist on the surface world and look different than the standard drow race found in AD&D. They have elongated arms, ending in class and greenish skin. They are masters of illusion, often appearing as regular elves to trick and deceive their victims.

Three times per week, Astos can cast Finger of Death at will.

Astos can also cast Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Slow each once per day as a 10th level spell casters. He also possesses the spells of a 10th level Illusionist, often disguising himself as an old fat and nearly helpless elven king.

If he has magic items, at least one will be cursed.

Astos can also place a powerful sleep curse on a single humanoid once per year. The victim must save versus spells with a minus -4 penalty or fall into comatose state, unable to awaken. A dispel magic cannot undo this curse. A remove curse can cause the sleeper to awaken for 1d6+1 days before falling asleep again. The completely remove the curse, the victim must drink a special potion created, in part, from an item known as The Crystal Eye.


Astos's original appearance
in Final Fantasy I



9 comments:

  1. I never got to play FFI - Mom thought it wasn't for girls so this is my first time meeting Astos. Love this theme!!

    *~MAJK~*
    A-to-Z Challenge 2014
    Mighty Minion of Co-Host Nicole Ayers
    @Safireblade on Twitter
    http://www.safireblade.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      FFI is for everybody--but its the toughest of the series, though I don't know how difficult it is on Nintendo DS. Astos was the first challenging boss the characters faced.

      Delete
    2. The recent remakes of FFI make are WAAAY easier. You now have MP instead of the D&D style of magic spell slots, and you can actually buy Phoenix Down to revive you characters in the field. Sure, it takes away something from the original game, but it makes it way more playable. Players used to more modern RPGs would probably throw FFI at the wall in disgust and frustration.

      Delete
  2. I've never played FFI either, but I love this post. Considering how much I love elves, I think I may need to include king of dark elves in my next old school game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I like it. Looking forward to more.

    --
    Timothy S. Brannan
    The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be taking a look at your witch theme this year, too.

      Delete
  4. I feel kind of ashamed to say I've never fully played the original FF... or VII... BUT I loved and played the shit out of FF II & III so that has to count for something, right?

    I used to DM, but at the time it was 3rd addition I believe. I've never heard of Astos. He looks pretty lanky. I think I could possibly take him!

    Stumbled across your blog as I was telling the Ladyfolk I needed to find a few more blogs to follow participating in the A to Z (the d20 caught my attention on the list). I think I will really enjoy your theme and plan on following during the event.

    Good luck with it all!

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I've got some monsters from both Final Fantasy II & III coming up, (that is from the original Super Nintendo).

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post. Love it!

    All hail.

    Stopping by from the #atozchallenge !
    @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...